Sunday, February 23, 2014
We're going to be parents! #scary
Back in October, Kevin and I were very excited to find out that we were expecting. We are due June 15th and recently found out we're having a baby boy! We kept it under wraps for longer than usual but became "Facebook official" in January.
Learning about how we humans grow new little humans has been truly amazing. My stepdad, Max, gave us the In the Womb series that National Geographic did. We've been watching that piece by piece as the weeks pass and it's been really cool. I actually began feeling him move around about a month ago. The first time it happened was just a flutter while I was laying in bed on a Tuesday night. I knew it was a different feeling but it wasn't obvious enough for me to be sure. Two nights later I caught a swift kick in the tummy and there was no mistaking what it was. He hasn't slowed down since...especially at night when it's time for mom to sleep. We can even SEE him from the outside. He kicks so hard sometimes that it makes me jump. I am convinced that he is doing karate in there.
We had our anatomy scan ultrasound on January 17th. That's when we confirmed that there was only one little baby in there and that he was a boy! His little foot was only one inch long then. He was laying bum-up which allowed our tech, Cheryl, to get all the really hard measurements. On the other hand, she couldn't get a few of the easier measurements because he wouldn't flip over for us...which meant we got to return for an extra ultrasound this past week. I was just short of 24 weeks and the difference one month made was amazing! Obviously, he was bigger but he was also doing his karate chops and doing a lot of sucking. They gave us a short video clip to take home with us. The very beginning of the video shows him sucking his thumb and in the second 3D view you can see his lips turning up and down while he is sucking. Also, look for the arrow as proof that he's a he. :-) The ultrasound video below is actually a playlist of five 30 second videos. I am not tech-savvy enough to figure out how to combine them into one video but the playlist will play them in order automatically and it is only 2.5 minutes long (I was pretty proud of figuring that out.)
(If the video above isn't working, click here. Click "Play All" when the playlist opens.)
While there have been some emotional ups and downs for me (I'm blaming it on the hormones,) I have never felt more blessed in my entire life. It has given me perspective and helped us through some really bad things that have happened in the last month or so. Now, I must keep that perspective through the next 3 months...I mean the next 20 years!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment